COSTAS E. SMARAGDAKIS
Dept. of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics
University of Crete
Office: Gamma 308
University Campus, Voutes
email : email@example.com
tel : +302810393764
- Born: August 15, 1982 in Heraklion Crete, Greece.
- Marital Status: Married (Irene Kasotaki) with 2 children (Renos and Emmy).
- Citizenship: Greek.
- Languages: Greek and English.
- ARCHERS Statistical Analysis and Characterization of Seismic and Acoustic Time Series.
- BSc in Applied Mathematics (7.55/10), Department of Applied Mathematics, University of Crete (2000-2005).
- MSc in Mathematical Modeling and Scientific Computing, Departments of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics (2005-2008).
Grades : two A, three A-, two B and one B-.
Thesis: On the use of Genetic Algorithms and a statistical characterization of the acoustic signal for tomographic and bottom geoacoustic inversions (in Greek).
Supervisor : Michael Taroudakis.
- PhD (in progress) in statistical signal characterization with applications in inverse problems of underwater acoustics, Department of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics.
Supervisor : Michael Taroudakis.
- 2003/02-2003/06: Work Placement, Sensitivity Kernels of the Green function in Ocean Acoustic Waveguides, IACM/FORTH.
Supervisor : Emmanuel Skarsoulis.
- 2006-2008 and 2012-Today: Teaching Assistant at Department of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics.
Analysis I, Mathematical Modeling I, Introduction to Programming I and II, Numerical Methods of Ordinary Differential Equations, Linear Algebra I, Geometry and Linear Algebra.
2013/09-2015/08: Research Fellow (PEFYKA/KRIPIS - General Secretariat for Research and Technology), IACM/FORTH.
2016/01-2016/10: Research Fellow (SIEMENS - General Secretariat for Research and Technology), IACM/FORTH.
2017/04-TODAY: Research Fellow (ARCHERS - Stavros Niarchos Foundation Fellowship), IACM/FORTH
- Inverse problems in underwater acoustics.
- Feature extraction using wavelet transform.
- Statistical signal characterization.
- Pattern recognition and machine learning.
- Developing of denoising strategies.
- Mathematical modeling of Mammalian auditory system.
- Characterization and classification of seismic waveforms.
- Scientific Libraries: Numpy, Scipy, Scikit-learn, TensorFlow, Pandas, GSL.
- Operating System: GNU/Linux.
- Software Containerization Platforms: Docker, Virtualenv.
- Typesetting: Latex, Markdown.
- Open Source Project: megaptera (https://github.com/kesmarag/megaptera).
- Acceptance date 2016/12: Taroudakis M.I., Smaragdakis C. and Chapman, N.R. "Denoising underwater acoustic signals for applications in acoustical oceanograpy" Journal of Computational Acoustics, Accepted for publication.
- 2014: Taroudakis M.I., Smaragdakis C. and Chapman, N.R. "Inversion of acoustical data from the `Shallow Water 06' experiment, using a statistical method for signal characterization " Journal of the Acoustical Society of America Vol. 136, pp. EL336-EL342.
- 2013: Taroudakis M.I. and Smaragdakis C. "Inversions of statistical parameters of an acoustic signal in range-dependent environments with applications in ocean acoustic tomography" Journal of the Acoustical Society of America Vol. 134, pp 2814-2822.
- 2009: Taroudakis M.I. and Smaragdakis C. "On the use of Genetic Algorithms and a statistical characterization of the acoustic signal for tomographic and bottom geoacoustic inversions Acta Acustica united with Acustica Vol 95, No 5, pp 814-822.
- 2017: Taroudaki V., Smaragdakis C. and Taroudakis M. "Statistical Near-Optimal Filtering Method with Application to Underwater Acoustics", Abstract of Paper Procedings in AMS Meetings, Vol 38 No 1, Issue 187, p 220.
- 2016: Taroudaki V., Smaragdakis C. and Taroudakis M. "Deblurring acoustic signals for statistical characterization in application of ocean acoustic tomography" in the Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 140(4):3135-3135.
- 2016: Taroudakis M. and Smaragdakis C. "Ocean acoustic tomography using a three-phased probabilistic model-based inversion scheme" in Proceedings of the ICA 2016, Buenos Aires.
- 2016: Smaragdakis C. and Taroudakis M. "Hidden Markov Models feature extraction for inverting underwater acoustic signals using wavelet packet coefficients", EuroRegio2016, Porto, Portugal.
- 2015: Taroudakis M. and Smaragdakis C. "De-noising procedures for inverting underwater acoustic signals in applications of acoustical oceanography" in Proceedings of EuroNoise 2015 31 May - 3 June, Maastricht.
- 2014: Taroudakis M. and Smaragdakis C. "A hybrid approach for ocean acoustic tomography in range dependent environments based on statistical characterization of the acoustic signal and the identification of modal arrivals" in Proceedings of FORUM ACUSTICUM 2014 (CD edition), Krakow, Poland.
- 2014: Smaragdakis C and Taroudakis M. "Characterization of underwater acoustic signals, using a bio-mathematical model of the psycho-acoustic mechanisms of Humpback whales." in Proceedings of 7th Acoustic Conference of HELINA, Thessaloniki.
- 2014: Taroudakis M. and Smaragdakis C. "A hybrid approach for ocean acoustic tomography based on statistical characterization of the acoustic signal and the identification of modal arrivals" in Proceedings of the 2nd Underwater Acoustics Conference edited by J.S. Papadakis and L. Bjorno, Rhodes, Greece, pp 691-698.
- 2012: Taroudakis M. and Smaragdakis C. : "Inversions of Statistical Parameters of an Acoustic Signal in Range-Dependent Environments, with Applications in Ocean Acoustic Tomography" in Proceedings of the 11th European Conference on Underwater Acoustics, Edinburgh, pp 962-969.
- 2010: Papadakis P., Smaragdakis C., Taroudakis M. and Tolstoy A.: "Hybrid inversion techniques for geoacoustic inversion" in Proceedings of the 9th European Conference on Underwater Acoustics, Istanbul.
- 2010: Taroudakis M. and Smaragdakis C. : "Underwater Acoustic Signal Characterization in the presence of Noise", in Internoise 2010, CD Rom edition, Lisbon.
- Hellenic Institute of Acoustics (HELINA).
Available on request.