# CURRICULUM VITAE #
COSTAS E. SMARAGDAKIS
Dept. of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics
University of Crete
office Gamma 308
University Campus, Voutes
email : email@example.com
.:: Personal information ::.
- Born: August 15, 1982 in Heraklion Crete, Greece
- Marital Status: Married with 2 children
- Citizenship: Greek
- Languages: Greek and English
.:: Education ::.
- University of Crete (2000-2005), Department of Applied Mathematics -
Diploma, Grade 7.55/10
- University of Crete (2005-2008), Departments of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics -
MSc, Master Thesis (in Greek), Supervisor : Taroudakis Michael
- University of Crete (2012-2016-expected-), Department of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics -
PhD (in progress), Supervisor : Taroudakis Michael
.:: Research Interests ::.
- Inverse problems in underwater acoustics
- Machine learning
- Denoising Strategies
- Mathematical modeling of Mammalian auditory system
- Earthquakes short-time prediction methods
.:: Work Experience ::.
- (2003/02 - 2003/06) Work Placement
Report (in Greek) : Sensitivity Kernels of the Green function in Ocean Acoustic Waveguides
Supervisor : Emmanuel Skarsoulis
(2006-2008 & 2012 - Today) Teaching Assistant at Department of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics
- (2013/09 - Today) Research Fellow
Institute of Applied and Computational Mathematics (IACM/FORTH)
.:: Journal Papers ::.
Taroudakis M.I. and Smaragdakis C. "On the use of Genetic Algorithms and a statistical charac-
terization of the acoustic signal for tomographic and bottom geoacoustic inversions Acta Acustica
united with Acustica Vol 95, No 5, pp 814-822 (2009).
Taroudakis M.I. and Smaragdakis C. "Inversions of statistical parameters of an acoustic signal in
environments with applications in ocean acoustic tomography" Journal of the Acoustical Society of America
Vol. 134, pp 2814-2822 (2013).
Taroudakis M.I., Smaragdakis C. and Chapman, N.R. "Inversion of acoustical data from the `Shallow Water 06'
using a statistical method for signal characterization " to appear in JASA-EL (2014).
.:: Papers in Conference Proceedings ::.
Taroudakis M. and Smaragdakis C. : "Underwater Acoustic Signal Characterization in the presence
of Noise", in Internoise 2010, CD Rom edition, Lisbon (2010).
Papadakis P., Smaragdakis C., Taroudakis M. and Tolstoy A.: "Hybrid inversion techniques for
geoacoustic inversion" in Proceedings of the 9th European Conference on Underwater Acoustics,
Taroudakis M. and Smaragdakis C. : "Inversions of Statistical Parameters of an Acoustic Signal in
Range-Dependent Environments, with Applications in Ocean Acoustic Tomography" in Proceedings
of the 11th European Conference on Underwater Acoustics, Edinburgh, pp 962-969 (2012).
Taroudakis M. and Smaragdakis C. "A hybrid approach for ocean acoustic tomography based on statistical
of the acoustic signal and the identification of modal arrivals" in Proceedings of the 2nd Underwater
edited by J.S. Papadakis and L. Bjorno, Rhodes, Greece, pp 691-698 (2014)
Smaragdakis C and Taroudakis M. "Characterization of underwater acoustic signals, using a bio-mathematical
the psycho-acoustic mechanisms of Humpback whales." in Proceedings of 7th Acoustic Conference of HELINA,
Taroudakis M. and Smaragdakis C. "A hybrid approach for ocean acoustic tomography in range dependent
environments based on
statistical characterization of the acoustic signal and the identification of modal arrivals" in Proceedings
FORUM ACUSTICUM 2014
(CD edition), Krakow, Poland, (2014)
Taroudakis M. and Smaragdakis C. "De-noising procedures for inverting underwater acoustic signals in
applications of acoustical oceanography" in Proceedings of Eur
oNoise 2015 31 May - 3 June, Maastricht
Smaragdakis C. and Taroudakis M. "Hidden Markov Models feature extraction for
inverting underwater acoustic signals using
wavelet packet coefficients", EuroRegio2016, Porto, Portugal, June 13-15, 2016 (accepted)
.:: Technical Strength ::.
- Programming Languages : C, C++, Java, Python, Kotlin
- Programming Libraries : Gobject(C), GLib(C), Qt(C++)
- Scientific Environments/Libraries : Matlab, Numpy/Scipy(Python), TensorFlow(Python), GSL(C)
- Operating System : GNU/Linux (I use Fedora/Centos)
- Typesetting : LaTeX/XeLaTeX
.:: Memberships ::.
- Hellenic Institute of Acoustics (HELINA)